Skip to main content

My tryst with Harry Potter.

My journey with the 'Boy who lived' is rather commonplace. I still remember those days when I was a tad bit hesitant to read the HP series because, they were apparently meant for kids. Maybe it was the uninteresting first chapter or my usual rebellious attitude to not follow the herd (people used to be crazy about Harry Potter,still are) I left reading it midway. There's something mystical about the books; I read the whole series in record time and have re-read it multiple times over time and has become an annual ritual for me ever since, to read the entire series atleast once. 

The Harry Potter series is one of those few modern classics among the plethora of commercial, imperceptive books written today, to have found a place in the hearts of millions of people. Ayn Rand puts it impeccably-'Novels are not written to vanish in a month or a year. That most of them do, today, is one of the sorriest aspects of today's literature, and one of the clearest indictments of it's dominant esthetic philosophy: concrete-bound, journalistic naturalism which has now reached its dead end in the inarticulate sounds of panic'. 


Severus Snape needs a special mention here. The scurrilous, most hated professor by the students of Hogwarts was hated by me as well.. almost till the end. He is the epitome of love. His sacrifice for Lily shows that love and affection is the only way forward in this world of chaos and discord. He instills the belief in us that it's never too late to change for the better. 
There is no specific feeling when I read these books, just a deep sense of satisfaction. Harry Potter will be remembered as 'The boy who always will live'. Forever, perhaps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grand(God)father.

       It has been 1416 days. 1416 days since he last spoke to me. 1416 days since the world slipped from under my feet. 1416 days since I started fearing death. . . . . . .          I consider myself extremely fortunate in life. Mostly, because I have had the good fortune to spend 17 yrs with my grandfather (nana, or tatagaru--as I used to call him). He shall always remain my most favourite and influential person in my life, and most of my tastes and personality has been shaped by his excellent pedagogy.        Growing up, my summers were spent in Vizag, at my grandparents' place. Happy days. I reminisce my running around the house, trying to climb the coconut trees whilst my grandmother was terrified of me breaking a limb or two. I was assigned the job of watering the garden which, I feel, sowed my love for greenery.The nights were spent poring over my grandfather's gigantic National Geographic/Reader's Digest collection-- of which I understood very litt